We are two NYC hounds coming for the first time to the Northwest and we are extremely excited to get out of this awful heat and drink some good beer and eat good food...We are driving up the Oregon coast from California and eventually cutting over to Portland for a day or two and then seattle. I have been searching the boards for a while and writing down stuff but was hoping to run some stuff by this board.
impression I'm getting is that you have to be careful here since some parts have been described as a culinary wasteland...here are the places that have looked good to me.
1) Pelican Brewery for good beer in a beautiful setting
2) Panini Bakery for great baked goods
3) Rogue Brewery in Newport (also siletz brewery nearby)
4) Blackfish Cafe
5) the Castaway in Port Orford (we're staying at the Seacrest)
6) ship inn in astoria for fish and chips
1. Fat Albert's and Bijou Cafe for breakfast
2. Jake's Famous Crawfish
3. Dan and Louis Oyster Bar
4. one of the Mcnenamins bars (kennedy school?)
5. Bridgeport brewery
6. horse brass pub
1. Matt's at the Market at Pike Place for Salmon sandwiches
2. Vivace for espresso
3. salumi for cured meats
Basically, we are two young chowhounds looking to sample the food and drink that are unique to the northwest. I hope to drink a ton of beer, eat a lot of salmon, dungeness crab, drink some pinot noir, etc. Any tips or comments on the places above would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance for any help...