So today I cooked dried green lentils. They are at this point, a bit old (I bought them maybe in October?), and who knows how old they were when I bought them since they were from my grocery store's bulk section. I cooked them the way I normally do:
1. Washed lentils, added them to the pot. (did not presoak because they're lentils)
2. Added enough water to cover by about an inch.
3. Brought the mixture to a boil, then lowered it to a simmer.
4. Added spices (nothing with added salt - cloves, cardamom, onion powder).
5. Stirred regularly.
6. After 30 mins, started tasting beans to see if they were ready - tasted about 10, and they were all soft.
7. Added salt, let simmer for a few more minutes, then drained.
When I go to eat them later, I find that most of them are still hard - somehow only about 1/3 of them got fully rehydrated and soft from the cooking process.
Where did I go wrong? Should I be soaking old lentils?