2 sticks, plus 1 T unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder pinch salt
4 T cream
2-6 pears, depending on size and personal taste
pre-heat oven to 350.
butter a 9-inch pie/cake pan and coat with brown sugar
1. mix butter and sugars and beat until fluffy.
2. add the eggs, one at the time, and stir well. add vanilla.
3. sift the flour and baking powder together, mix some of it onto the batter, then add some of the cream then some of the batter....etc. until all is blended, finishing with wet, but mix as little as possible.
4. smear half of the batter in the pan.
5. peel and core the pears, cut in pieces, and spread out on the batter. pour on the rest of the batter, and add a new layer of pear pieces if you like. just push them a little down into the batter. (i used about 4 very ripe pears and dredged the pieces in cinnamon and ginger before pushing into the batter.)
6. bake between 30-45 minutes, depending on the amount of pears used. (many pears - more moist - more time.) but check after 30 minutes to be sure. ready when a cake tester comes out clean.
this can be made as a loaf too.
the brown sugar caramelizes nicely to give a great crisp to the exterior of the cake and the cake itself just gets better after a day or two. delicious with vanilla ice or whipped cream mixed with a bit of plain yogurt.
Updated 1 year ago | 8
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 5 months ago | 0
Updated 10 days ago | 5
Updated 4 months ago | 1