I would like to invite all chowhounds, newbie and veterans alike, to the next chowsocial potluck. It will be on Sunday, July 21st from 1-5 at the
Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria.
Besides having a potluck/social, we're gathering items to be donated for a silent auction and raffle to raise funds for Chowhound and would like your help.
Do you have any special skills or training? Bidders on the auction will be your fellow chowhounds, so this is the perfect way for you to share your special talents while supporting the site. We'd like to have items with
extra added value, so rather than simply donating something that you've paid full price for, please think of items or services that would bring in higher
bids because of their unique nature. Of course, if you've got access to something great at wholesale cost, we certainly wouldn't turn it down!
Examples of appropriate items that have already been donated are...
* The Jim Leff Private NYC Chowtour for two,
* Handcrafted photograph album and set of journals made by Dennison using traditional Chinese/Japanese methods,
* Artwork by professional illustrator GalleyGirl,
* CD of the month club with selections by the influential music critic David Sprague,
* Computer/Tech consultation by professional computerhead wrayb,
* Set of three professional culinary reference books by the Culinary Institute of America, generously donated by Maria ,
* Swahili lessons by Rob Leonard, Hofstra Professor and author of the original Lonely Planet Swahili phrasebook,
* Private NYC Tour by licensed tour guide Stephanie L.,
* and more items from chowhounds you've all come to know through their postings -- we'd love for you to join the list!
For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of a silent auction, it's kinda like eBay...only it's conducted on paper. We'll assign each item a starting
bid amount and a minimum increment amount for subsequent bids. Throughout the afternoon, hounds will come round with drink and food in hand and make
their bids on paper. When the time's up, the highest bidder is the winner!
In addition to the silent auction, we'll be raising funds for the site with a raffle. We anticipate having a mandatory purchase of one $5 raffle ticket
per attendee, with additional tickets available for anyone who wants to support chowhound further while increasing their chances of winning something cool.
Raffle prizes will be donated items such as a $50 Gramercy Tavern gift certificate, Martha Frances Mississippi Cheesecake, etc.
Hopefully, you'll already have thought of something you can contribute while you're reading this. If not, consider these: maybe you'd be willing to buy a restaurant gift certificate for donation? Do you have a vintage bottle of wine/whiskey/port that you want to get rid of? Is there something that you could give expert lessons in? The possibilities are endless, since we know what a brilliant and diverse community y'all are.
So please help us out with your creativity and generosity so that we can make this fundraiser a
huge success. Feel free to email your thoughts and suggestions to me, but please understand that we may not accept all items if they don't fit our anticipated model for this event.
Also, very importantly, please note that we will not accept any donations from restauranteurs.
This is a private, volunteer assisted event. No agency relationship express or implied exists between any parties and Chowhound, Inc. This is not a Chowhound, Inc. sponsored event.
Updated 8 months ago | 9
Updated 3 months ago | 4
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 5 months ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 10