Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Basic Vegetable Broth
Winter Vegetable Soup with Watercress Pistou
- 2 bunches asparagus, green, bottom 1/3 of stem removed
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled, cut oblong or large dice
- 1 lb. baby brussel sprouts, fresh, cleaned or frozen can be used
- 1 lb. wax beans, ends snipped
- 2 oz butter
- 1 each zest from orange
- 4 oz. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This simple sauté of seasonal vegetables was served at the Obama inaugural luncheon.
- 1Preheat grill or large heavy bottom sauté pan. Rub 2 ounces of olive oil on asparagus and season with pinch of salt and pepper. Lay flat on grill or sauté pan until lightly browned. Using long fork or tongs, rotate the asparagus to brown other sides. Usually 2 or 3 minutes per side. The asparagus is done when you can use a fork to cut through. Do not overcook, this will cause asparagus to become stringy. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- 2Bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil, add carrots to water and cook until fork tender, meaning a fork will easily pass through the carrot. Drain the water from the pot and toss 1 ounce butter and zest of orange and mix until carrots are coated. Season with pinch of salt and enjoy. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- 3For fresh brussel sprouts, bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil, cut into the stem of the sprout with a paring knife to create an X on the bottom, this will allow the stem to cook more evenly. Place sprout in boiling water and allow to cook until bottom of sprout is tender and easily cut with a knife. Preheat a heavy bottom sauté while the sprouts are cooking. Remove sprouts from water and allow all water to drain completely. Add 2 ounces oil to sauté pan and add the sprouts, season with salt and pepper while tossing the sprouts around to evenly brown in the pan. If sprouts are too big, you can cut them in half, keep warm until ready to serve.
- 4For frozen brussel sprouts, bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil and drop frozen brussel sprouts into water, these are precooked so you are only thawing them out. Remove from water and sauté as above.
- 5Bring 3 quarts salted water to boil, add snipped wax beans to water and allow to cook until
fork tender or to your liking of doneness. Remove from water and toss with 1 ounce butter and season with salt and pepper.