White Barbecue Sauce
This Alabama-style, mayonnaise-based white barbecue sauce is delicious over Hickory-Smoked Chicken. It can also be used as a sauce for chicken salad: Pull the cooked chicken off the bone, cut the meat into bite-size chunks, and toss it in just enough of the sauce to coat it.
Game plan: Store-bought mayonnaise will work fine in this recipe, or you could make your own.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (see Game Plan note)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1Combine all ingredients in a medium, nonreactive bowl and mix thoroughly. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
2Slather over grilled or smoked chicken, or fold cooked boneless pieces of chicken into the sauce for a chicken salad.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved