Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Deviled Eggs with Tarragon
Walnut Oil and Chive Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon roasted walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
A roasted nut oil can give your vinaigrette a mild, earthy flavor—a nice change from bland vegetable oil or sometimes-overpowering olive oil.
What to buy: We like the La Tourangelle brand of roasted nut oils like this walnut oil. Avoid brands that use refined nut oils—they don’t taste like the nuts they came from. Store nut oils in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent rancidity.
Game plan: If you’re making the dressing ahead of time, add the minced chives just before serving.
- 1Place walnut and grapeseed or canola oils in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- 2Place chives, vinegar, and mustard in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the oil mixture, whisking continuously, until all of the oil is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.