Table Talk with Nicole Plue, Director of Pastry Arts at SF Cooking School |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Asian-y Tofu Scramble
Vietnamese Lemongrass Tofu Bánh Mì
- 1 pkg of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 table spoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 bulbs of fresh lemongrass. When chopped should be about 3 tablespoons.
- 1 light, crusty baguette
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded daikon radish
- Carrot/radish pickle marinade: 2 cups warm water,1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoons salt.
- Other Condiments: Sprinkle of soy sauce, mayo, fresh cilantro sprigs, slices of: cucumber, jalapeno chili's, red onion
I’m always bored with all the same, tired veggie bánh mì options at my local eateries . It’s so easy to make your own, so here’s a savory and flavorful Vietnamese bánh mì option for vegetarians. This satisfying staple , lemongrass tofu is so versatile. The tofu can be used in many dishes: Bánh Mì sandwiches, fresh springrolls, tossed in salads or topped on noodles and rice. The flavor and texture is a great and easy way to satisfy your veggie guests or to introduce tofu to “newbies” for the first time.
- 1Drain Tofu and blot dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture( this link will further clarify this step : http://whiteonricecouple.com/blog/?page_id=74 ) . Slice into about 1/4 ” pieces. Assemble carrot/daikon pickle marinade and add shredded carrots and daikon to mixture. Let carrots & daikon soak for about 1 hour.
- 2Wash lemongrass and chop bulbs and remaining of stalk that is tender. Place chopped lemongrass in mortar & pestle (or food processor or blender) and continue to crush pieces till they are small and pulverized. Add 2 cloves of garlic and crush ( or process/blend) garlic together with lemongrass.
- 3In large plastic freezer bag, combine crushed lemongrass & garlic, vegetable oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Mix the marinade well, then add slices of tofu in bag. Lay tofu slices in gently on top of each other so that they don’t break. Make sure all marinate coats each slice of tofu.
- 4Let marinade for at least 1 hour or until all tofu slices soak up the marinade. Heat up frying pan. Do not add oil to the pan because the tofu is well oiled. Fry slices of tofu until both sides are golden brown with a nice firm crust. Let cool and assemble banh mi.
- 5Cut baguette into desired portions. If your baguette is too heavy and dense, you can scoop out some of the center. Slice lengthwise and add condiments of your choice.