UNUSUAL (BALKAN) ORZO SALAD
I came across this recipe years ago. I’ve never served it to anyone, back in America or here in the UK, that didn’t like it. A lot of textures and flavours are blended, and it’s well worth the effort. We especially like it in the summer.
- I medium zucchini (courgette)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion sliced thin
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup chopped pimento (I roast a red pepper and skin it)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tablesppons butter
1 small onion, minced
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups chicken stock
1 green pepper, roasted, skinned and chopped
Optional: green olives, flaked tuna
- 11. Drop zucchini into fast boiling, slated water, cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Drain under cold water. Halve lengthwise and then into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.
- 1In a bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, onion, pimineto, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then pour over zucchini. Marinate 4-6 hours.
- 13. Heat the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan, then add the minced onion and cook it over med. heat until it is soft but not browned. Add the tomato paste and curry and stir to coat it completely with the onion mixture, then add the stock and orzo. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Remove to a bowl and cool.
- 14. Add the zucchini mixture to the rice, as well as the green pepper, (tuna etc.). Toss and taste for seasoning; might need a little more oil and vinegar. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved