The Jersey Lightning
Adapted from Philip Ward
Philip Ward of Death & Co on New York’s Lower East Side concocted this addictive punch. Mix up a batch for your next party, but be forewarned: A few too many cups will leave you feeling like you’ve been struck by lightning!
This recipe was featured as part of both our story on The Return of Punch and our Punch Recipes photo gallery.
- 36 sugar cubes
- 3 1/3 cups soda water
- 2 1/3 cups applejack, such as Laird’s
- 1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups Tea-Infused Vermouth
- 36 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
- 6 cups ice
- Apple slices and cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- 1Combine sugar cubes and 1 cup of the soda water in a large bowl and muddle until the sugar breaks up. Add applejack, lemon juice, vermouth, bitters, and ice and stir to chill.
- 2Strain over a large block of ice into a punch bowl. Add remaining soda water, and garnish with apple slices and cinnamon sticks.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved