Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Kale Salad with Grapefruit
Thai Rice Congee with Pork Dumplings
Thai Rice Salad with Three Herbs
- 1/2 cup NAKANO Seasoned Rice Vinegar—Roasted Garlic
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil (optional)
- 4 cups cooked, chilled short-grain brown rice
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Zest of 1 lime
The trio of mint, basil and cilantro, along with tangy-sweet seasoned rice vinegar, gives this refreshing salad its Thai orientation. Instead of white rice, use used chewy short-grain brown rice as a healthier alternative.
- 1In a 1-cup measuring cup, whisk together seasoned rice vinegar, peanut oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and if desired, hot chili oil.
- 2Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Pour dressing over and stir to combine.
• Rice may be cooked 2-3 days in advance. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
• Long grain brown rice, or any other rice may be used.
• If using Thai basil, reduce amount to 1-2 tablespoons.
• For a main-course salad, add 1 to 2 cups diced cooked chicken.