Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
Coconut Chicken Soup
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- 1 lb Chicken, thinly sliced
- Two 11 oz. Coconut milk cans (shake can well before opening)
- 8 oz. Chicken stock
- 1 cup young Galanga, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh, hot Thai Chili peppers
- 2 stems Lemon Grass, cut into 1-1/2" lengths and pounded
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 8 oz. canned straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 Tbsp. peanut (or other) oil
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. Shrimp paste
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. Corn Sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Lime juice (or Lemon juice)
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1/2 tsp. Dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 Tbsp fresh Cilantro leaves (or to taste), coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh button mushrooms thinly sliced.
I am an accomplished Thai cuisine cook and an up and coming authentic Chinese cook. I lived in Bangkok Thailand for over 5 years so I am very familiar with how they cook, how dishes should taste, and how to recognize the best ingredients. I’ll be posting Thai dishes here for the most part, but some will be off that path.
This is my recipe for Thai coconut chicken soup like you’d get in a Thai restaurant. I grew up in Thailand and we had maids that would prepare our meals. They showed me how to make this soup and here is the recipe:
1Slice the chili peppers then fry in oil for a few seconds until cooked.
2In a soup pot, heat coconut milk with chicken stock over medium heat and bring to a boil.
3Add galanga, lemon grass, cooked peppers from the other pan, grated lime rind and lime leaves
4Continue to boil for a minute and then reduce heat to a simmer
5Add shrimp paste, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, straw mushrooms and pepper flakes
6Stir to mix
7Drop chicken pieces one at a time into the broth. Do not stir until chicken is cooked.
8When chicken is done, stir in sliced button mushrooms and remove from heat.
9Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Recommended from Chowhound