Table Talk with Chef Zachary Golper of Bien Cuit |
Answers Are In! ›
Jerk Turkey Chili
Grilled Sweet Chili and Lime Shrimp Kebabs
Sweet Heat Louisiana Chili
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed or diced
- 1 pound of ground meat
- 1 litre meat stock (any will do - a good vegetable stock will work well too)
- 2 large cans (596 mL) of whole stewwed tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney (red) beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups of sundried tomatoes
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp dry mustard, cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning blend
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
This hearty one-pot dish will satisfy even the pickiest mouths! Regarding the meat choices, any type will do. I prefer bison (buffalo) because its so lean and high in protein. Only use whole canned tomatoes, as they will provide the best “ripe tomato” flavor. Remove bay leaves before serving. Goes very well with my Perfect Polenta Patties!
- 1Over medium high heat, saute 2/3 of the raw vegetables (first 4 ingredients) in 1 tbsp of oil. Reserve the remaining raw vegetable matter.
- 2Once the onions begin to sweat, add your choice of ground meat. Brown to perfection.
- 3When the meat is cooked, add the stock, bay leaves, dry mustard and cayenne. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half.
- 4Rehydrate the sundried tomatoes and dice. Puree the canned tomatoes in a food processor. Add to pot.
- 5Rinse the canned beans in plenty of water, add to the pot along with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and 2 tsp of cajun or creole seasoning–reserve 1 tsp of seasoning.
- 6Mix well and simmer over low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add remaining raw vegetables and seasoning to the pot and take off the heat. Mix well and allow to stand covered for five minutes.
- 8Serve and enjoy!