Spicy Snow Pea and Sesame Stir-Fry
Perfect for a weeknight meal, this quick stir-fry has a touch of spice, and can be served over steamed rice for a satisfying vegetarian dinner.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chinese New Year Dishes photo gallery.
Game plan: You’ll need to make the steamed rice before you begin.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound firm tofu, patted dry and cut into large dice
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound snow peas
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Basic Steamed White Rice (see Game Plan note), for serving
- 1Whisk together soy sauce, mirin, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small, nonreactive bowl; set aside.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. When it smokes, add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- 3Reduce heat to medium, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, shallots, and garlic and cook until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add snow peas and sesame seeds and cook, stirring frequently, until peas are bright green, slightly softened, yet still crisp, about 5 minutes. Add reserved tofu and soy sauce mixture and cook just until tofu is warm and sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute more. Serve immediately over steamed rice.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved