Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
White Bean and Ham Soup
Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup
Spicy Garlicky Garbanzo Bean Soup
- 2 cans garbanzo beans rinsed
- 2 to 3 cans good quality chicken stock or 4 cups homemade
- 2 Serrano chilies chopped or less if your prefer less heat
- 3 large garlic cloves sliced
- 1 stalk of celery chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs De Provence
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Salt
- 1 Tablespoon White Pepper
- 1 T Lemon Juice or hit it lightly
- 2 T Crunchy Bacon
- 3 T Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 T Cream Sherry or to your taste
- 1/2 small white onion finely minced
This is a soup that I came up with a few years ago. After being invited to a holiday party,
we were told by the hostess if we wished to bring a dish it was welcome.
Thinking about my options, I came up with this spicy soup, brought it along and set it up in a tureen after reheating it quickly in the microwave. To go with the soup, I also made a bread with a chewy crust and Kalamata olives. The soup is rich,creamy and delicious. No surprise it was a huge success at the party.
I love this soup for the multiple and complex flavors, the heat and heartiness, and that it can be made with little effort. A great starter, I like to hand out small cups to my guests to ease their hunger until dinner is served.
You can easily double or triple this recipe, depending on the guest list.
- 1Sautee all the vegetables in 2 T Olive Oil. garbanzo beans, chilies (unseeded) onion, garlic add the beans last, then on low heat add the spices, then cook almost like your roasting everything in the pan. It will caramelize the veggies contributing to the flavor. Cook for about 10minutes, taste for salt and a splash of fresh lemon juice to brighten.
- 2Once the veggies are soft, and the spices have released their oils (you’ll be able to tell by the smell) turn it off, and let it sit for 10 minutes to cool.
- 3Put everything into a blender or using an immersion blender. Pulse until it all smooth and creamy, taste for salt. At this point it will be thick, add the chicken broth one can or cup at a time, and pulse. Should take 2 cans,possibly a third.
- 4Add 1 T Cream Sherry
- 5Add 3 Tablespoons of Heavy Cream–Blend well and and heat all the way through.
- 6Top the soup with1- 2 Tablespoons crunchy bacon
- 7Other toppings: can be chives, parsley, red onion, scallions, kalamata olives and creme fraiche.