Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Smoky Macaroni and Cheese
The Smirking Pig's Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1 pound of extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (should be two cups)
- 1 pound of mild cheddar cheese, grated (should be two cups)
- 1 pound box dried macaroni
This is my tried and true macaroni and cheese recipe. You can eschew eggs and fancy cheeses. All you need is
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Once melted add flour and cayenne pepper to make a roux. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook roux until it takes a nice deep blonde color, about 5–7 minutes. Don’t let it get to dark (a dark roux won’t thicken properly).
- 3Add milk to the roux, half a cup at a time, stirring until smooth before adding next addition. The mixture should be smooth and thick. If it’s too thick, add more milk in 1/4 cup increments. If it’s too thin, you will have to start over.
- 4Once your bechamel is to your liking, begin to add the grated cheeses in small increments, stirring each addition until smooth and incorporated. When finished, reduce heat to low.
- 5Cook macaroni according to directions on box. Drain and rinse.
- 6Add cheese sauce to macaroni. Bake in ove proof dish for 30 minutes until slightly firm. Top with additional cheddar cheese if you like.