Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Sizzling Rice Soup
- 1 cup uncooked white rice – should make 2 cups cooked
- 3 ounces small frozen cooked shrimp, thawed
- 5 ounces skinless, boneless chicken pieces cut into chunks and cooked (microwave or saute', or use leftover chicken)
- 1 egg
- 1 tblsp cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth (2 cans, or use lightly seasoned homemade chicken stock)
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped or thinly sliced
- ½ - 1 full can of sliced water chestnuts
- ¼ cup sliced bamboo shoots – optional
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Add or omit vegetables as desired; I like to add some thinly sliced carrot. If using greens like napa cabbage or bok choy, shred or thinly slice and add just before serving
- ½ cup snow pea pods, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teasp. pepper (preferably white pepper but any ground pepper will work)
- 2 tblsp sherry (or rice wine, or any cooking or dry white wine will do)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
A move from Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks meant I could no longer find one of my favorite foods in a local restaurant. I had to learn to make it. Here’s my recipe – I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to add or subtract ingredients as your tastes dictate.
This is a dish of Taiwanese origin, but “Americanized”.
- 1Before starting to make the soup:
Cook rice first, as directed on package. Then, spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake about one hour at 300 degrees, turning the rice layer over after 30 minutes. (Ovens vary; you may need to bake a bit longer to get it crispy, but don’t let it burn.) Break rice apart and set aside. Fry and add to soup as directed.
- 21. Mix together the chicken, shrimp, cornstarch, sherry and soy sauce; set aside.
2. Into the soup pot put the broth, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots, if you’re using them. Bring to a boil, add salt and pepper. Reduce heat and allow to simmer 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, green onions and any other fresh vegetables you are using.
- 34. Beat egg and add it to the chicken, shrimp and sherry mixture.
5. Meanwhile, heat 3 tblsp oil until hot in a frying pan; place rice in oil to brown.
6. Add chicken and shrimp mixture to hot broth; stir and return to a boil. If adding fresh shredded greens, now is the time!
7. Remove rice from oil with slotted spoon, drain very briefly on paper towels.
8. Carefully pour soup in large serving terrine – or just serve from the stock pot.
- 49. Tableside, add rice to soup. If both are hot enough, your soup should sizzle! Dish into serving bowls immediately and enjoy!