For the yoghurt dressing:
- 1Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
For the carrot fritters:
- 1Preheat the oven to 315°F. Place the flour, soda water, egg, cumin, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the chilli, carrot, scallions, and cilantro and stir to combine.
- 2Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat, add the oil and heat until hot. Cooking in batches, add 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cook the remaining fritter batter, adding extra oil if necessary. Place the fritters on an ovenproof plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven while you cook the scallops.
For the seared scallops:
- 1Place the scallops in a bowl, add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a meduim to high heat and cook the scallops for 1 minute each side.
- 2Place 3 carrot fritters on a plate, top with the watercress and scallops and drizzle with the yoghurt dressing. Season with pepper.
Beverage pairing: La Yunta Torrontes, Argentina. Torrontes is an Argentinian grape with lovely floral overtones that manage not to outshine its pleasant melon/pear fruit center. Its good acidity will counter the richness of the scallops, while that floral purity and sweet fruit core will be great with the carrot and yoghurt.