Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Mint and Lime Iced Tea
Virgin Pomegranate-Lime Rickey
Rose-Petal Preserves (Moraba-ye gol-e Mohammadi)
- 1 pound fresh or 2 cups dried rose petals
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup slivered pistachios
- 2 tablespoons rose water (if using dried rose petals)
- 1Select fresh pink rose petals. Cut off the white ends of the petals and wash carefully, especially if they have been sprayed with pesticides. Place rose petals in a container and cover with cool water. Let stand for 15 minutes, then drain. If using dried rose petals, place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Drain in a colander. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lime juice and let sit.
- 2Meanwhile, place sugar and water in a laminated pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let simmer over medium heat for 35 minutes, or until the syrup has thickened.
- 3Add the rest of the lime juice, rose petals, slivered pistachios, and rose water, mix well, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes longer, or until the syrup sticks to the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 4Sterilize jelly jars in boiling water; drain and let dry. Fill the jars with the hot jelly and seal. Store in a cool, dark place. Nush-e Jan!
© 2007 From New Food of Life by Najmieh Batmanglij by permission of Mage Publishers