Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Perfect Roast Potatoes
Garlicky Pot Roast
The Perfect Pot Roast
- pork loin roast, tied (the butcher will do this for you)
- fennel seed
- red pepper flacks, to taste
- rind of half a lemon, chopped
- olive oil
- white wine
You will not be disappointed, this comes out juicy & delicious! A wonderful main course.
Pairs well with white beans.
- 1Combine all ingredients (except the meat) and form a paste. Food processor, mortar & pestle or a small food chopper will work, you can also do it by hand.
- 2Transfer above mixture into a bowl & add a glug or two of olive oil so the paste is spreadable.
- 3Work paste into meat evenly & refrigerate over night or at least 6 hours.
- 4When ready to cook preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 5Generously salt the meat & place in a roasting pan.
- 6Roast for the first 15 minutes at 425 degrees, remove from oven. Add a 3/4 cup of white wine
- 7Then return to oven & lower to 350 degrees cooking for about 15 minutes per pound,or until juices run clear.
- 8Baste the meat once or twice during cooking.
(If the top starts getting too brown, cover for the last bit. If liquid at the bottom of the pan cooks out, add a little water.)
- 9Once cooked, allow roast to sit for a few minutes. Remove string & slice thinly. Use the pan juices as a sauce.