Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that go from ho-hum to stellar once roasted. The addition of soy sauce and pepper makes for a salty-peppery-sweet snack.
This recipe was featured as part of our Spicy Holiday Cocktail Party menu.
- 16 cups cauliflower, cut into small, even-size florets (from 2 large heads)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes, tossing cauliflower occasionally.
- 2Arrange half of the cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until tender and slightly blackened, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove from the oven and repeat with remaining cauliflower. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Beverage pairing: Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc, California. Cauliflower has a nice blend of sweet and bitter, and here it’s accented by the lift of pepper and the umami of soy sauce. It deserves a complex wine, and this white is one of the most complex and delicious California delivers. A blend of white Rhône grapes, the unoaked wine merges honeyed notes of tropical fruits with a slightly bitter floral flavor, all held together by a stirring minerality.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved