Table Talk with Chef Zachary Golper of Bien Cuit |
Answers Are In! ›
White Bean Fritters with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Orzo Salad with Tomatoes and Pine Nuts
Pasta with Arugula Pesto, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Pine Nuts
- 1 pound pasta, such as orecchiette, gemelli, or conchiglie
- 10 ounces arugula, washed and tough stems removed
- 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and thinly sliced
This twist on classic pesto swaps arugula for basil, making a peppery sauce that goes nicely with toasted pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes. For something extra, grate a little pecorino or Parmesan cheese on top before serving.
What to buy: Sun-dried tomatoes come packed dry or in oil and can be found in most grocery stores. Here we use tomatoes packed in oil because they give more flavor than their dry counterparts (which need to be reconstituted before using).
- 1Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- 2Meanwhile, combine arugula, garlic, lemon juice, and half of the pine nuts in a food processor. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil and process until evenly blended, about 2 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and process again to blend in seasoning.
- 3Drain pasta and return to the pot (but do not return to heat). Add arugula pesto, remaining pine nuts, and sun-dried tomatoes and mix until evenly combined. Serve immediately.
Beverage pairing: Feudi di San Gregorio Falanghina, Italy. Falanghina is a greenish-gold wine from southern Italy with lovely hints of pear, lemon, and fresh herbs, making it a savory delight and an excellent match for pastas and vegetables. This one is somewhat richer in body than most, which makes it a nice contrast for a light, summery pasta.