Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
Panch phoron is a five-seed mixture from Bengal, India, a region famous for its distinctive cuisine. Panch phoron is most common in northern India, where the majority of seed spices are grown. Grind coarsely and use as a coating on roasted meat, or sprinkle on Indian breads, potato dishes, and vegetables, especially eggplant and cauliflower.
- 2 tablespoons whole black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- 1Combine 2 tablespoons each whole black mustard seeds, whole nigella seeds, whole cumin seeds, whole fenugreek seeds, and whole fennel seeds.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved