Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Kai Bi (Galbi) - Korean Grilled Beef Short...
Mu Shu Kai Krapow
- 2 shallots, sliced thin + 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz.), roughly chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ small onion, sliced from pole to pole
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 -3 green thai bird chilies, sliced into thin rings with seeds
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 2-3 dashes soy sauce
- 1 – 2 tsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4-5 sprigs Thai holy basil, chiffonaded
- 1 – 2 pinches ground white pepper
- ½ lime
- 4 – 6 mu shu pancakes or thin flour tortillas
I’ll eat anything in a wrap. One day, I had some leftover thai and a sh**load of raw flour tortillas in my fridge. It was so good, I decided to throw it into the dinner rotation. Warning: this recipe can be rip-your-face-off spicy. Adjust chilies to taste.
- 1In a small saucepan, simmer hoisin, sriracha and rice wine for a couple minutes until alcohol burns off. Set aside.
- 2In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and palm sugar.
- 3Heat wok on high until a bead of water vaporizes in 1 – 2 seconds. Add 3 Tbs oil and when it shimmers, add thinly sliced shallot. Fry until golden. Keep a close eye as these can burn easily!
- 4Remove wok from heat and using a skimmer, remove shallots to a plate covered with paper towels.
- 5Return wok to heat and add chopped shallots and garlic and stir fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- 6Add sliced cabbage and onions. Sprinkle with a little salt. Add in chilies and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- 7Add chopped chicken and stir fry until outside is just a little pink and then add fish sauce mixture.
- 8Continue to stir fry until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- 9Mix in basil, sprinkle with white pepper and squeeze lime over mixture.
- 10Heat mu shu pancakes or tortillas in a fry pan over medium low heat.
- 11To assemble:
On a pancake or tortilla, spread 2 – 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture and top with fresh bean sprouts, cilantro and a couple of jalapeno slices.
- 12Drizzle sauce over vegetables and top with crispy shallots. Wrap up and enjoy!