Ancho Chile Salsa
Chicken Chile Verde
Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 2 cups boiling salted water
- 2 seeded jalapeños
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 coarsely chopped white onion
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons lard or oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
Tomatillos and cilantro take center stage for this light, tangy mole.
- 1Peel off the papery skin from 1 pound of tomatillos and cook in 2 cups boiling salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking water.
- 2Blend the tomatillos, 2 seeded jalapeños, the leaves from 1 bunch cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 coarsely chopped white onion with about 1/2 cup of the cooking water until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Toast 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds in 1 tablespoon lard or oil. Blend with 1 cup chicken stock until smooth. Combine both mixtures.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons lard or oil and fry the tomatillo–pumpkin seed mixture for 3 minutes, or until bubbling hot. Season to taste with salt. Serve with chicken enchiladas or tacos. Makes 1 quart sauce.