Melon Dip Cocktail
Ouzo has few fans because the liqueur can be overpowering. But it’s a whole different animal in this drink, where it melds with the cantaloupe for an unusual, understated flavor.
What to buy: Ouzo is a clear, slightly sweet, anise-flavored liqueur from Greece, available at Greek markets and some liquor stores. Look for a good-quality ouzo, because it will make or break this cocktail. If you really dislike ouzo, you can make this with your favorite gin, vodka, or white rum.
Game plan: You can make this cocktail up to 2 days in advance. Refrigerate it in an airtight container and stir before serving to make sure everything’s incorporated.
This recipe was featured as part of our Summer Fruit Cocktails photo gallery.
- 5 cups cantaloupe, medium dice (about 1 medium cantaloupe)
- 5 ounces ouzo
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 ounces Rich Simple Syrup
- 12 fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- 1Place the cantaloupe in a blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a large pitcher and skim off any foam. (You should have about 1 3/4 cups juice.) Add the ouzo, lemon juice, and simple syrup and stir to combine.
- 2To serve, pour the melon mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice. Smack 2 mint leaves per drink in the palm of your hand and place on top.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved