Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Coconut Ice Cream
Caramel Ice Cream
Maple Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
Maple syrup makes pancakes and waffles sweeter, but turn it into ice cream and it’s the perfect mate for a pear tart, apple galette, or pumpkin pie.
What to buy: Grade B maple syrup is preferred for this dessert, because of its dark amber color and hearty flavor. Grade A will do in a pinch, but its lighter color and more mellow flavor should be saved for drizzling on breakfast dishes.
Game plan: For a creamier, more dense texture, spin the ice cream base for a little less time than instructed.
This recipe was featured as part of our Thanksgiving for Six menu.
- 1Prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water. Heat the maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, simmering until it’s reduced by a quarter, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2Heat the cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until just simmering, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks in a medium heatproof bowl until light in color and thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- 3Once the milk mixture is simmering, remove from heat and pour about 1/2 cup into the yolks, whisking constantly. Return the yolk mixture to the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. (When you run your finger through the custard, a line should hold and not run back into itself.)
- 4Remove the custard from heat and stir in the maple syrup reduction and salt. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a large heatproof bowl and place over the ice bath until chilled, about 40 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5Once the ice cream base is chilled, freeze it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.