Lamb Meatballs with Lemon-Cumin Yogurt
Fresh mint and cilantro pair with the classic Mediterranean spices of cinnamon, cumin, and coriander to liven up ground lamb and plain yogurt. To prepare these as a main course, form larger meatballs and serve with pita and couscous.
What to buy: Greek yogurt can be found in most grocery stores. We like the Fage brand.
Game plan: The meatballs can be formed up to 24 hours ahead and refrigerated; they’ll just need an additional 3 to 5 minutes in the oven to cook through.
The yogurt dip can be made 1 day ahead, covered tightly, and refrigerated.
This recipe was featured as part of our Bring Happy Hour Home cocktail party menu, as well as our Bar Snacks and Tailgating Recipes photo galleries.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the yogurt:
- 7 ounces whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Zest of 1 medium lemon, minced
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- 3Form into 30 balls (about 2 teaspoons each) and place on a baking sheet.
- 4Bake until meatballs are no longer pink in the middle, about 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, combine all yogurt ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well. Serve with the meatballs.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved