Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Gai Lan and Shiitake Stir-Fried Brown Rice
Kimchi and Shrimp Fried Rice
Kid-Friendly Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Canadian bacon, small dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups steamed long-grain white rice, cold
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen pea and carrot medley
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 3 medium scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Pork fried rice gets a kid-approved makeover, for a dish that’s healthy enough for you to serve to the little ones guilt-free. And it’s made with ingredients you probably have on hand, so dinner can be on the table in a flash.
Game plan: Fried rice is just as delicious when made ahead and served cold. To do so, cook the recipe all the way through, then turn the rice out onto a large plate or baking sheet and spread it out so it can cool down quickly. When it’s lukewarm to room temperature, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it until ready to eat. Be sure to get the rice into the fridge within 2 hours of cooking to avoid any serious food-safety issues.
This fried rice is on the mild side, so be sure to have bottles of soy sauce and hot sauce on hand for the adults.
This recipe was featured as part of our Good Food for Kids photo gallery.
- 1Heat peanut or vegetable oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat. When it shimmers, tilt the pan to coat it evenly, add bacon, and cook until just browned, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 10 to 20 seconds. Add rice and stir-fry, breaking up the rice and cooking until it’s heated through and coated with oil, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Evenly drizzle in beaten eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is coated in egg and set, about 2 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and cook until thawed and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil and cook until scallions just wilt, about 1 minute.