Hot Italian sausage in red wine
I actually saw something similar in a fantasy/sci-fi book by Stephen Burst which I decided to adapt to real life one night when wanting to do something different to Italian sausage. It is not a warm weather meal.
- Store brand Hot Italian Sausage (doesn't matter what kind in other words) - 1 lb is good (6 to 8 links)
- garlic - 4 cloves chopped course
- white onion - 1 medium size cut in half slices and broken apart
- Green, Red and Yellow pepper slices - 1/2 cup
- Oregano - 1 tblspoon
- Red wine - 1 to 1 1/2 cups - enough to cover the sausage
- Crushed Hot Pepper - enough to sprinkle over the mixture - to your own heat level
- Olive Oil - to just coat the bottom of the baking pan
- Parmesan cheese grated ~ 2 or 3 tblspoons
1coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and spread the garlic over the entire pan.
2place the sausages over the garlic, the onion over the sausage and sprinkle the cheese over the sausage.
3mix the onions and peppers and spread over the sausage. Sprinkle the oregano over this.
4Add red wine gently to just 1/2 to 3/4 of the way over the sausage. Sprinkle crushed hot pepper and place into a oven preheated to 350 F and cook for 45 minutes.
5Serve with rice or spaghetti. I use the liquid as a sauce over either.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved