Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Cedar-Planked Salmon with Herbed Yogurt Sauce
Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches
Heirloom Pea Pancakes with Smoked Salmon and Crème Fraîche
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 cup green peas, preferably freshly shelled
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 4 ounces smoked or cured salmon, sliced
- Freshly snipped chives, for garnish
A bright springtime or summer treat.
- 1Fill a bowl with ice water. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then lightly salt it. Blanch the sugar snap peas in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sugar snaps to the ice water bath (keep the water at a boil). Once cool, use a slotted spoon to transfer the sugar snaps to a bowl.
- 2Add more ice to the water bath. Repeat the blanching process for the shelled peas, blanching them for 3 minutes or until tender, and shocking them in the ice bath. Transfer the cooled peas to a small bowl and coarsely mash them with a fork.
- 3In a blender or food processor, combine the sugar snap peas, milk, and cream, and purée until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and whisk in the egg. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and a pinch of salt, and whisk to combine. Fold the mashed peas into the batter.
- 4Heat the oven to 250°F.
- 5In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Drop tablespoons of batter into the pan. When the edges are lightly browned after 2 minutes, flip the pancakes, lower the heat as far as it will go, and cook until the pancakes are done in the center and the bottoms are browned, about another 2 minutes. Transfer the pancakes to a baking tray lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Keep the pancakes in the warm oven until all the batter has been used.
- 6Serve topped with a dollop of crème fraîche, a slice of salmon, and a sprinkling of chives.