Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
Hawaij is essential to the cuisine of Yemen and is also very popular in Israel, due to the large Yemenite community there. The currylike mixture is used liberally as a rub for grilled meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables like eggplant, and may also be sprinkled into soups, stews, sauces, and rice.
- 6 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1In a dry skillet, combine 6 tablespoons black peppercorns, 1/4 cup cumin seeds, 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods, and 1 teaspoon whole cloves, and toast over medium heat, shaking often, until fragrant. Cool and then grind. Stir in 3 tablespoons ground turmeric.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved