Habanero Orange Stomach Punch
Haute Habanero Chicken Curry
- 4 TB Veggie Oil
- 2.5 lbs chicken breasts (with skin is the best b/c it keeps the meat moist)
- 2 Tb of fresh ginger
- 1 habanero chili pepper
- 4 tsp. madras curry powder
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- Salt to taste (1-2tsp recommended)
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1In a large skillet (enough room to fit all chicken breasts), heat oil on medium-high. When hot, add chicken and brown on both sides for 10-12 minutes.
- 2While chicken is cooking, mince ginger and habanero pepper into a paste. Chop up cilantro leaves and stalks. Squeeze lime juice into a cup.
- 3Remove chicken from pan.
- 4Add 4 Tb water, ginger/habanero mixture, spices, salt, and white pepper to the pan. Stir for a few seconds.
- 5Then add the cilantro and 3/4 cup water and lime juice. Put the chicken back in the pan and toss in the cauliflower.
- 6Bring everything to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes. If it looks like things are getting too dry, add more water. About half-way through the cooking, flip the chicken breasts.
- 7Spoon over rice or couscous. You can also chop up fresh cilantro to serve. I like serving this with a simple raita salad to cool things down (dice 1/2 cup cucumbers, dice 1 tomato, and dice 1/4 of an onion, squeeze 1/2 a lime, then stir in 1/3 a cup of yogurt and top off with some cilantro stalks).