Ham and Camembert Baguette Sandwich
Unwrapping a soggy sandwich at a picnic is an avoidable tragedy. Just a light smear of fig jam across a crusty baguette keeps this French-inspired grab-n-go sandwich from crossing into sodden territory. Tuck in some ham and Camembert cheese, wrap it up, and stick it in your basket. No more sad sandwiches.
Game plan: If you have a day-old baguette, bring it back to life by placing it directly on the middle rack of a 350°F oven. Bake until it’s warmed through and the exterior is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- 1 (24-inch) sweet baguette
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- 4 ounces thinly sliced baked ham
- 3 ounces Camembert cheese, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup loosely packed baby arugula
- 1Slice the baguette in half lengthwise, cutting about three-quarters of the way through. Evenly coat the cut sides with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the fig jam over the olive oil on both sides.
- 2Layer the ham, Camembert, and arugula on the bottom half of the baguette. Fold over the top half of the baguette and press gently to close. If serving immediately, cut the sandwich crosswise into the desired number of pieces.
- 3If not serving immediately, cut the sandwich in half crosswise and place the two pieces side by side on a large piece of parchment or waxed paper. Fold to secure, and tape if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved