Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Pan-Roasted Halibut with Caper Vinaigrette
Farro Risotto with Asparagus and Fava Beans
Halibut with Asparagus & Fava Beans
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fava beans, shelled, blanced and tough skins removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 halibut filets
This is my take on a terrific meal I enjoyed at the Kitchen Table in Richmond, Vermont.
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and blanch for 2 minutes. Using a spider, remove the asparagus from the boiling water to a colander set over the sink. Add the shelled fava beans to the boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or a spider, remove the fava beans and add to the colander with the asparagus.
- 2Fill a small saucepan with about 2 inches of water and set over low heat. Cover with a heat-resistant glass bowl (big enough to hold 2-3 cups of liquid).
- 3In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the shallot, vinegar, and wine. Cook 5-8 minutes or until reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
- 4Turn off the heat source and allow the shallot mixture to cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Over low heat, add the butter three pieces at a time, whisking until almost completely emulsified. Continue until all of the butter has been combined. Stir in the thyme and season with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Add the sauce to your prepared glass bowl set over the simmering water (this will keep your sauce warm without separating).
- 5In a large cast-iron skillet set over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to coat. Add the halibut filets and cook for 3 minutes. Gently flip the halibut filets over and cook for 3 minutes. Add the blanched asparagus and fava beans to the skillet, stirring them frequently. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- 6Plate the halibut filets, asparagus, and fava beans. Pour the sauce over the filets and serve immediately.