Grilled Portobello and Radicchio Salad
Sure, you’ve seen radicchio and mushrooms served together before. But throwing them on the grill and finishing everything with a sweet balsamic vinegar reduction livens up the bitter radicchio and earthy mushrooms, for a winning alternative to the standard green salad. Serve this dish with our Middle Eastern Lamb Burgers or as a first course on its own.
Read more about grilling.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into 2-inch-wide strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium head radicchio, outer leaves discarded and remaining head sliced lengthwise into six wedges
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 1Combine vinegar and garlic in a small, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil until thick, syrupy, and reduced by half, about 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- 2Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F). Meanwhile, combine mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss to coat. Grill mushrooms until browned and beginning to release some juice (you may need to do this in batches), about 6 minutes, then transfer to a serving dish.
- 3Combine radicchio and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Grill radicchio until browned and charred on the edges and beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the serving dish with the mushrooms.
- 4Drizzle salad with reserved balsamic syrup, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved