We designed these bold, crunchy croutons to toss into Caesar salads, but they’d be right at home in any simple salad of mixed greens, or scattered on top of an assertive soup.
Game plan: The cooled croutons will keep at room temperature, tightly sealed in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
- 1 sourdough baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (about 1/3 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- 2In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the olive oil, butter, and garlic. Heat until the butter melts and is just starting to foam, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with a big pinch of salt, pour over the bread cubes, and toss to coat.
- 3Spread the bread cubes in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until a deep golden in color, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and use immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved