Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Ginger Mojitos for a Crowd
Halibut for Two
Fast Faux Pho For Two
- 2 x 16 oz boxes of chicken stock (reduced salt is best)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar (raw sugar is best)
- 1 x 2″ piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 green onions left whole – cleaned w roots removed
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts – thinly sliced (easy to do when meat is partially frozen)
- ½ lb rice stick noodles – soaked, cooked and drained
- 3 green onions – chopped
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- 1 handful basil leaves
- ½ lime – thinly sliced
- Sriracha sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
We love Pho but are often short on time.
This comes together very quickly as most prep can be done while broth ingredients simmer. Oyster sauce adds a depth of flavour and lends some sweetness to the broth.
This is my shortcut Pho recipe:
- 1In a large saucepan, combine all Broth ingredients and, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 mins.
- 2While broth simmers, slice chicken and prepare noodles and garnishes. Use hot water you drain from the noodles to keep your serving bowls warm.
- 3Once broth has simmered for 15 minutes, using tongs, remove green onions, ginger and cilantro sprigs and discard. Increase heat to medium high then add chicken and stir until cooked through. Approx 4-5 mins.
- 4Place noodles in warmed bowls and top w chicken and broth.
- 5Top w garnishes of your choice.