Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Double Chocolate Pop Tarts
Double Chocolate Expresso Nut Cookies
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 1 cup sugar, diveded
- 2 teaspoons instant expresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet ground chocolate
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 egg white, plus 2 eggs, divided
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups good-quality bittersweet chocolate chips
I am always trying to make cookies different. Many teenagers are drinking coffee. So I combined the two things and come up with an amazing cookie. I send my experimental cookies to school with my son, this one needed no tweaking. It was a huge hit. I know your family will love it also.
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, expresso powder, cinnamon, 5 spice, chocolate, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl whisk egg white, add walnuts, stir to coat. Add spice mixture, mix well. Spread on prepared baking sheet. Bake 5-10 minutes stirring half way thru cooking. Bake until walnuts are dry to the touch. Cool. Coarsely chop cooled nuts.
- 2Increase oven temperture to 375 degrees. Cream the butter, shortening, remaining sugar, and brown sugar, add the remaining eggs one at a time, beat until well blended. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, mix well. Add vanilla and melted chocolate, stir in the chocolate chips and candied nuts.
- 3Drop by tablespoonful mounds on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool for a minute on baking sheet, remove to cooling rack. If there are any cookie left, place cooled cookies in an air tight container.