Table Talk with Nicole Plue, Director of Pastry Arts at SF Cooking School |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
BLT Scrambled Eggs
Asian-y Tofu Scramble
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 medium red, yellow, or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into medium dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (not nonfat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2/3 cup medium-dice cooked ham (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
Omelets are an elegant breakfast option, but making them one at a time is too hard when you need to feed a crowd. Instead, take the ingredients for a Denver omelet and throw them into an easy scramble. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and ham, then add eggs and cook them slowly over low heat to make big, soft curds. Fold in some cheddar cheese and you’ll have a no-fuss breakfast in about 30 minutes.
Watch the CHOW Test Kitchen’s Christine Gallary make this easy Denver scramble in an episode of our Easiest Way video series.
- 1Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until foaming.
- 2Add the bell pepper and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place the eggs, milk, and measured salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until the eggs are broken up and the mixture is thoroughly combined; set aside.
- 4Add the ham to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium low and pour in the egg mixture. Let sit undisturbed until the eggs just start to set around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, push the eggs from the edges into the center. Let sit again until the edges start to set, then spread back into an even layer. Repeat, pushing the eggs from the edges into the center every 30 seconds until almost set, for a total cooking time of about 4 to 5 minutes. (The top of the eggs should still be slightly wet.) Remove the pan from the heat.
- 6Sprinkle in the cheese and gently fold until melted. Serve immediately.