Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Sweet Potato Casserole
Critter Fritter Casserole
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup jarred jalapeno peppers, chopped (more if you like really spicy)
- 8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small box jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
At the Texas State Fair, I indulged in a small and delicious treat called a Critter Fritter. It was a jalapeno stuffed with meat, breaded and fried and covered with cheese sauce. I decided to develop a casserole based on those flavors and ingredients and came up with something I think is pretty good. I thought I’d share.
- 1Preheat oven to 375 F.
- 2Brown ground beef in large pan. Remove meat and set aside. Drain all but 2 tsp of fat from pan. Add onion to pan and saute until tender, approx. 3-4 minutes. Add meat back to pan. Add garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute. Add jalapenos, stir and cook 5 minutes.
- 3While meat is cooking, combine cornbread mix, butter, milk and egg in small bowl. Set aside.
- 4Transfer meat mixture to an 8-inch square glass pan. Top evenly with shredded cheese. Pour cornbread mix evenly over top.
- 5Bake 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve.