Table Talk with Chef Zachary Golper of Bien Cuit |
Answers Are In! ›
Spiced Zucchini Muffins
Cream Cheese Zucchini Bread
- 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, room temp.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbs vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 3 1/4 c AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 1/4 c oil
- 1 1/2 c white sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 2 c grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
While a dish like this is usually referred to as Zucchini Bread, I feel that that’s misleading. This is a cake, through and through. It is moist and dense, with a crunchy crust with a silky ribbon of cream cheese running throughout.
- 1Grease and flour a bundt pan, or 2 loaf pans. Set aside.
- 2With an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Once blended add the egg, vanilla, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- 3n a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon) together. Set aside. (Got enough stuff “aside,” yet?)
- 4With an electric mixer, cream together the oil and both white and brown sugar until creamy. While the mixer is still running, add the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time, letting each incorporate before adding the next.
- 5Now add the dry ingredients in thirds. The batter should look WAY too thick at this point. Now add the zucchini and it will thin out considerably.
- 6Pour half of the zucchini batter into your pan(s). With a large spoon, add the cream cheese mixture to the batter, but make sure that it doesn’t touch the sides. We want to “seal in” the cream cheese mixture so it doesn’t escape. Pour the remaining batter on top and pop that baby in the oven!
- 7Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- 8Let the bread/cake thing cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.