Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Croq-Télé (Almond Cookies)
Chinese Almond Cookies
- 1 cup (1/2 pound) lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Whole blanched almonds for garnish
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°F. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- 2Beat 1 cup (1/2 pound) lard or vegetable shortening (at room temperature) with 1 cup granulated sugar until creamy. Beat in 1 tablespoon almond extract and a pinch of salt, then beat in 3 cups all-purpose flour, a little at a time. The dough will be crumbly.
- 3Shape spoonfuls of dough into flat, round cookies about 2 inches in diameter. (The edges of the cookies will have cracks.) Transfer to the prepared pans.
- 4Beat together 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water and brush it atop the cookies. Press a whole blanched almond into the center of each cookie.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully. Store in an airtight container. Makes 4 dozen.