Chicken Parmigiana with Zucchini Noodles
Upon request from one of my bestest friends I created this dish. She has been requesting a high protein low carb recipe and this is what I came up with. If love Italian food, but need to cut the carbs you are pretty much up a creek, but this dish is the perfect to cure for that pasta crave.
I got this idea while watching Iron Chef America the other night. It was battle zucchini and Bobby Flay made a dish were he used zucchini as noodles. I filed this in the back of the recipe box in my head. I was very, very pleased with the results it was absolutely delicious. The zucchini noodles were light and had just a bit of crunch. I breaded the chicken breast in panko bread crumbs which are surprisingly very low in carbs, 1/2 a cup of panko bread crumbs only has 24 g of carbs. I was able to bread 3 chicken breast with just 1/2 cup of crumbs, which means each breast only had 8 g of carbs. Sweet right? The panko was great on the chicken breast, made them light and crunchy.
See step-by-step directions here http://thenoshery.com/2009/05/28/chicken-parmigiana-with-zucchini-noodles/
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 small zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 vine ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1Take 3 large chicken breast and place in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Take a rolling pin and pound them out to about 1 inch.
- 2Fill a shallow pan, (I used a pie dish) with 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk. Let them soak for about 5 minutes.
- 3While the chicken sits in the butter milk, fill another shallow pan or plate with 1/2 a cup of panko bread crumbs.
- 4Add to the panko crumbs 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 kosher salt & 1/4 pepper. Mix well.
- 5Take your chicken breast and transfer to the panko, coating the chicken on both sides.
- 6Transfer to a baking sheet brushed with 1 1/2 Tbs of olive oil. Bake in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes, turning the breasts half way
- 7While the chicken is in the oven take you zucchini and cut in half. I used 6 small zucchinis
- 8Take a zest-er and run it down the zucchini. Do this along all the sides till you get to the core. Discard the core. Do the same thing with 1 yellow squash. Make sure you have 2 generous cups of zucchini and squash. Set aside.
- 9Thinly slice 1 shallot, mince 3 garlic cloves, dice 1 vine ripe tomato, slice 1/4 cup of roasted red pepper and 1/4 cup of fresh basil
- 10Check your chicken, do you need to flip it?
- 1Heat a 1 Tbs of olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and shallot and saute till they just beginning to get translucent.
- 2Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and half of your basil. Stir and cook at a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and red peppers, stir and let simmer for 5 minutes
- 3Add the zucchini noodles. Toss with the sauce and saute at a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. You don’t want to the zucchini to over cook and get soft.
- 4Pull the chicken from the oven and sprinkle with mozzarella. Transfer to broiler and cook on normal until the cheese melts and bubbles
- 5Serve the chicken over the pasta, garnish with fresh basil, diced tomato and drizzle with olive oil
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved