Champagne Holiday Punch
Adapted from Erick Castro
Erick Castro, the former general manager at Rickhouse Bar in San Francisco, makes this easy holiday punch in our You’re Doing It All Wrong video. It’s a flexible recipe that will work with nearly any base spirit if you don’t have genever.
What to buy: Though it’s also infused with botanicals like juniper, genever (a.k.a. Holland or Dutch gin) is a maltier, funkier relative of gin that mixes very well in cocktails. Anchor Distilling and Bols make good versions that can be found at any well-stocked liquor store.
- 1 1/2 cups genever, chilled if possible
- 1/2 cup orange curaçao, chilled if possible
- 1/2 cup Rich Simple Syrup
- 10 dashes aromatic bitters, such as angostura
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sparkling wine or Champagne
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Pineapple slices and star anise, for garnish
- 1Pour the genever, orange curaçao, simple syrup, and bitters into a punch bowl and stir to combine.
- 2Add the sparkling water, lemon juice, and sparkling wine or Champagne just before serving.
- 3Place a large block of ice in the punch and stir gently just to combine.
- 4Grate nutmeg over top of the punch, and garnish with pineapple slices and star anise.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved