Adapted from "Champagne Cocktails: 50 Cork-Popping Concoctions & Scintillating Sparklers" by A. J. Rathbun
Champagne and club soda lighten up this deep-red punch made with claret wine, brandy, and dark rum. Fresh orange and pineapple slices add a hint of citrus and bright color.
What to buy: Wines labeled “claret” are red wines that contain a blend of Bordeaux grapes. You can find them in most well-stocked wine shops or online.
- 2 cups claret wine, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups brandy, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups simple syrup, chilled
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth, chilled
- 2 (1-liter) bottles club soda, chilled
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle brut sparkling wine or champagne, chilled
- 1 ice block
- 1 medium orange, sliced into wheels and halved into half-moons
- 1/2 medium pineapple, peeled, cored, sliced into wheels, and halved into half-moons
1Place the wine, brandy, rum, simple syrup, and sweet vermouth in a 7-quart punch bowl and stir gently to combine.
2Gently stir in the club soda and sparkling wine or champagne (do not overmix or your punch will be flat). Float the ice block in the punch and add the sliced fruit. Serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved