Traditionally, Caesar salad was made tableside by a tuxedoed waiter tossing romaine leaves with the whole egg, cheese, and garlic all at once. We’ve made the process a little bit easier, and a lot less dramatic, by combining the dressing ingredients first.
Note: While it’s perfectly safe for healthy adults to consume raw eggs, the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a delicate immune system should avoid them.
Game plan: This is a perishable dressing with a relatively short shelf life. Make it the day you plan to use it.
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place the anchovies and garlic on a cutting board. Make a paste by dragging the side of a chef’s knife across the fillets at a 15-degree angle about 10 times, or until a smooth paste forms. Place in a medium bowl.
- 2Whisk the whole egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, and Worcestershire into the anchovy mixture and beat until smooth. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly until the vinaigrette has emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved