Buzzing Bran Muffins
Adapted from Stephanie Rosenbaum
Finally, a healthy, nongreasy bran muffin that doesn’t taste like a mouthful of sticks and leaves! Honey and buttermilk keep these wholesome muffins moist. You can substitute molasses for the honey, if preferred. Adapted from Honey: From Flower to Table by Stephanie Rosenbaum.
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup dark, full-flavored honey, such as buckwheat
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- 2In a large bowl, pour boiling water over bran, honey, oil, and raisins. Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and wheat germ. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, beat eggs and buttermilk until smooth.
- 4Stir flour mixture into bran mixture. Add buttermilk mixture and stir together lightly until just mixed.
- 5Spoon into muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until muffins are golden and spring back lightly when pressed with a fingertip.
- 6Let muffins cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved