Black Jack Burger
Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup Chili sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic bud finely chopped
- Alternative - 1/4 cup soft butter
- Alternative - 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- Optional - 6 to 8 slices of cheese
- 6 to 8 Hamburger buns
This has been an alltime family favourite. We use the smaller buns for deck parties and the larger buns for a main meal with a large salad. Recipe can be doubled or tripled to match size of group – I make a single recipe at a time to ensure ingredients get mixed evenly. Patties can be made ahead and frozen a short time until needed. Instead of the ‘Alternate’ mustard/butter mix on the buns prepared mustard can be drizzeled per taste after serving.
- 1Heat barbecue to 450 degrees. Hand mix all ingredients except for buns, butter and mustard. Form into patties- I do mine 1/2 inch thick – to overlap edges of bun. Allow a bit for shrinkage when cooked.
- 2Wipe grill with vegetable oil and lay patties on hot grill. Sear one side – 3 minutes. Turn barbecue to come down to 400 degrees. Turn over and sear second side another 3 minutes. Optional: A slice of cheese can be put on the patties when searing second side. Cook at lower temperature to desired taste.
- 3While patties are cooking slice buns and brown inside and out ’til golden. Alternative: Before putting buns on grill mix butter and mustard and smear insides of buns – brown outside of buns first.
- 4Serve with slices of gherkins (or dill), tomatoes, white onion and lettuce for garnish.