Table Talk with Nicole Plue, Director of Pastry Arts at SF Cooking School |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Truffled Fingerling Smashed Potatoes
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
Basic Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds russet potatoes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
Mashed potatoes may be simple, but where would turkey and gravy or braised meats be without them?
This recipe was featured as part of our Thanksgiving for Beginners menu.
- 1Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut them into large chunks and place in a large pot.
- 2Cover the potatoes with cold water by 1 to 2 inches and add a generous amount of salt. (You want the water to taste like the ocean.) Place the pot on the stove over high heat.
- 3Once the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes can easily be pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- 4Drain in a colander and let the potatoes rest in the sink while you prepare the butter and cream.
- 5Combine the butter and cream in the pot you cooked the potatoes in. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the butter has melted and the cream is hot.
- 6Turn off the heat and add the drained potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash until the potatoes are fluffy and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.